Friday, October 9, 2009

git in my bell-ay, apple butter

i have succeeded in making and canning apple butter! i would now like to share that with you on this fine autumn morning.

Apple Butter
5 1/2 pounds apples - peeled, cored and finely chopped
4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
*i cut the above recipe in half because i only had about 3 lbs of apples

Place apples in a slow cooker. Combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt; pour over apples and mix well.
Photobucket
Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 9-11 hours or until thickened and dark brown, stirring occasionally (stir more frequently as it thickens to prevent sticking).
Photobucket
Uncover and cook on low 1 hour longer. Stir with a wire whisk until smooth(or if you're afraid of a little elbow grease, by all means, use a hand mixer). Spoon into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. head space. Cover and refrigerate or freeze.
Photobucket
Photobucket
(only three are pictured because i was already eating out of the fourth ;op)

this recipe calls for refrigerating or freezing your apple butter, but i was really wanting to try canning. there are some great web sites around that explain how to can...and you do not need the fancy canning pots if you don't have them. i used a big spaghetti pot for 4 8oz jars.(one was slightly tilted, but it still got a seal) can you say, "hello christmas gifts!"

i hope you'll give this a try. it was super easy(even easier if you decide not to can), and the house smelled awesome!! its the little things :o)

13 comments:

  1. Yum! I also love your handmade Pumpkin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm I love apple butter. It's so nice on biscuits :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I love everything with apple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm. that looks awesome! But I love that smell, I would make it for that alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried that and I have to be honest. I wouldn't know what to use it on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A couple of weeks ago I made fresh applesauce. Don't you get a great feeling about making something from scratch? I know I do. I'll have to try apple butter next. Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks yummy! I don't typically use butter on anything, but something as sweet and delicious looking as this may be worth a whirl!

    Thanks for stopping by yesterday! Yay for great sleepers, indeed! Happy 17 months to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love apple butter! I'm definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUMMY! I'm doing this tomorrow...if I have time. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! it looks so easy! I will definately give this a try this year. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am muy impressed with your culinary abilities

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just LOVE apple butter. Last time I had some was when I made it myself from apples we picked from a friend's mom's orchard in NM. Yumm! Those little jars you have are really cute. I've never seen any that shape.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it...those jars are a cute shape...love them! Mine was so much darker colored...hmmmm. Maybe it is because it was in the crockpot for a LONG TIME.

    ReplyDelete