Wednesday, September 23, 2009

its too early to be annoyed

i mean really.

i was getting emily onto the bus this morning. she walked up the steps(assisted) with the aide, and i have the following conversation with the bus driver...
driver: when you take her in your personal vehicle, does she cry when you have to stop?
me: yes, but its only been recently
driver: do you think you could talk to her?
me: no problem
driver: the other parents are concerned when they're bringing their kids on the bus. so please talk to her.
me: ok, well we are...its just something she started doi--
driver:ok, we have to go....

WTF? i was getting more and more tweaked as i was walking down the driveway. of course we try talking to her. emily doens't speak yet, she can't tell us what's wrong. she likes it when she's moving, so maybe she's annoyed that she's the first to be picked up, and has to wait for 6 other kids to get on the bus(some in wheelchairs)...i'd be annoyed too!!!

she's never been a "chatty" kind of lady...which is fine, but after today, i'm not sure she actually knows how to talk to people! when she started driving emily this year, she said she had been driving for 25 years...today she convinced me that this is her first year with special needs kids. i think the whole line about the other parents being concerned is a crock. they know what having special needs kids is all about. sometimes kids go through phases(special needs or not), they'll get over it when they're good and ready.

everyone thinks that i should call the school and let them know, but i kind of want to see what the driver says this afternoon when i ask her how emily was. ugh. emily being upset at certain things is a struggle, i don't need her to remind me!!!!!!

6 comments:

  1. I know just what you mean. My son has special needs as well and over the summer they offer a summer school program. This year the regular teacher was on a break so there was a different teacher who had only taught 7th graders not 3-5 year olds. She had no idea how to handle situations. I agree that I highly doubt the parents said anything to her.

    Stopping in from SITS....great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I would certainly be annoyed too. One thing I have learned is that its never too early to be annoyed, unfortunately.
    That driver sounds inexperienced and I think it is really too bad that she needs to make up lies to try to make these kids conform to her ideal. Its a bus ride to school for crying out loud. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very annoying! I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Hope rest of your day goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I think that everyone is right. If she is driving a special needs bus, than she needs to be more patient and understanding (and I am surprised the other parents aren't but she may be lying who knows)I would hate to think she yells at Emily if she doesn't calm down. In fact, God only knows if she is the one that started her not liking to stop in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm, well, I tend to think it's never too early to be annoyed. My children have a gift at being annoying at pretty much any time of day. But I don't really like to see others annoyed too early :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you work for education, you shouldn't be upset when little girls and guys cry! You should show compassion! I hope your early morning challenges brighten up!

    ReplyDelete